Pattern and Designlearn to create Surface Pattern and Textile Designs
Want to learn how I create successful pattern designs every single day?
There's no tricks just a simple 5 step formula
How to Create a Pattern Repeat by Hand
Creating pattern repeats can be a lot simpler than you think. Perhaps you’re an artist that does everything by hand and doesn’t know how to use Illustrator or Photoshop to put your designs into repeat. Well in this post we’re going to look at a really simple method of creating a pattern repeat by hand. Yes, that means no need for a computer! Let’s have a look at how to create pattern repeats by hand.
How to Create Pattern Repeats by Hand
When it comes to repeating a design, there is no doubt that it’s faster, easier and more accurate on the computer.
However, you can still repeat designs by hand if you wish. One of the simplest ways of creating a more complex full drop repeat design by hand is using the Swiss repeat method.
In order to create a Swiss repeat you need to:
1. Create a square to draw your design in. I created mine 24 x 24cm but it could be any size depending on the size of your design.
2. Draw your design in the centre of the square. Make sure that your design stays within the square and doesn’t touch any of the sides. You design can be as complicated as you like and you can use any media you like but for this example, I’m going to do a simple black and white line drawing.
3. Measure the width and height of the square. Divide both the width and height in half, then using a sharp blade, cut the square into 4 equal squares.
4. To make it easier, I have labelled each of the squares (A, B, C and D).
5. Swap the position of :
- squares A and D
- squares Band C
5. Tape the four squares back together and fill in the blank white space with extra design elements
6. Photocopy and repeat out your design
You can see the design is now in repeat!
I’ve created an ebook of the Most Common Surface Pattern Repeats with a bonus of 5 extra pattern repeat layouts. Download your FREE copy and enjoy!
Do you have any questions? Comments? Let’s chat below